Thursday, January 29, 2009

The make-up lifesaver for skin wrought with winter pallor...

In the mid 90s, I stumbled upon the wonders of facial highlighters via purchase of a product that I believe was called 'Cosmic Glow by Maybelline.' After years of struggling with the proper application of foundation and, especially, blush, I found salvation in the simple and easy beauty imparted by highlighting 'light-catching' areas of my face such as cheeks, nose, chin, etc. When I actually decide to put make-up on, the facial component of my regime now consists of little more than a quick sweep of highlighter on my face. The result is a rosy, glowing, sun-kissed, healthy-looking complexion - absolutely wondrous for my uber-pale, 30-something, how-the-hell-did-those-spots-get-there skin! Alas, 'Cosmic Glow' disappeared into the ether long ago and I have had to seek out replacements over the years - some have been good, most have been bad. However, I have had nothing but successful and excellent results with the facial highlighters produced by the company benefit, San Francisco. My absolute favorite benefit highlighter is 'HollywoodGlo' - it has just the right amount of shimmer and light-catching pigments to impart a gorgeous, sun-kissed radiance. Plus it is light, blends easily on the skin, and smells like roses - perfection! Unfortunately, I believe that benefit has discontinued 'HollywoodGlo' so I have been scouring the Internet and eBay in order to stock up. Not to worry, though, benefit makes two other excellent highlighters, complete with built-in applicator brushes: moonbeam and highbeam. Moonbeam is my fave because it creates a very subtle, peachy, iridescent glow on the skin. All of these highlighters are fabulous products that work wonders for the skin in both winter and summer, for both young and old, and for both make-up aficionados and make-up antagonists. Overall, I highly recommend adding a bit of iridescent facial highlighter, no matter what brand, to your bower to create an aura of radiance!